Alumni Update (Feb 2016)
Dear Penn and Wharton alumni,
Gong Xi Fa Cai! Happy Chinese New Year! Please find below the upcoming Penn and Wharton alumni events this month.
The Committee for the Penn and Wharton Club of Singapore
1. Pioneering the Future Series, presented by the EDB Society (26 February 2016)
We are pleased to announce the next session in the Pioneering The Future Series on 26 February 2016 with Keynote Speakers:
- Professor Lim Chong Yah, eminent economist and former Chairman of the National Wages Council
- Mr Stephen Lee, Chairman Singapore Airlines Limited and former President Singapore National Employers Federation
- Mr Lim Swee Say, Minister for Manpower and former Sec-Gen National Trades Union Congress.
This forum will be held at The Arts House at 4 - 6 pm (Registration & Reception start at 3 pm), and will be moderated by Mr Han Fook Kwang, Editor-at-Large The Straits Times. The topic for the coming session is "Tripartism “. The speakers will share their first hand experience and insights on Sinagpore’s unique model of Labour- Business-Government relations which has been a key success factor in Singapore’s economic development and what can influence future growth & development.
You are welcomed to attend and contribute your thought leadership. We are limited to just 5 tickets, so if you are interested please RSVP to Mike Chen ([email protected]) as soon as possible. You may also wish to include your questions, if any, in your reply.
2. Wharton Club Leadership Conference in Philadelphia (25-26 February 2016)
The Wharton school has invited us to join fellow Wharton alumni volunteers at The Wharton School Club Leadership Conference featuring customized content directed toward Global Club Leaders. This will be an opportunity to:
- Network and engage with club leaders from different regions of the world
- Learn and share best practices for regional and affinity clubs
- Participate in case studies that encompass both success and failure
- Hear from Wharton leadership about school updates
Session topics include:
- Corporate sponsorship
- Website updates
- Membership - maintaining and increasing members
- Succession planning and leadership challenges
3. Wharton Global Forum Kuala Lumpur (11-12 March 2016)
Join the Wharton community in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for this extraordinary opportunity to make new connections and learn from innovators and thought leaders who are mobilizing ASEAN through their dynamic partnerships. Connecting international thought leaders from across industries, government, and academia, the KL Forum presents an opportunity for Penn and Wharton alumni to engage in compelling dialogue about the most important issues facing business today.
Our very own Alan Hsu will be speaking at the conference on the future and challenges of Venture Capital.
Registration Link: http://www.whartonkualalumpur16.com/registration/
4. Powerful Connections: Networking That Works (1 April 2016)
You are invited to a high impact networking event designed to help you build strong relationships. Hear from a distinguished speaker on connecting effectively and network with like-minded professionals.
Please RSVP by filling out the registration form and purchasing tickets (you will receive registration confirmation shortly). This event is sponsored by Linkked: Connect for Business & for Life.
Date and time: Friday April 1st, 2016; 6:00pm-9:00pm
Venue: 10 Marina Bay Financial Centre; 23rd Floor
Other: Food & beverages will be provided
About The Speaker:
Paul is a 4-time TEDx speaker. He is one of the most engaging, compelling and inspiring speakers you could ever experience. Audiences love being involved with him. He was honored as a Social Innovation Fellow in his new home of Singapore; something he shares with film-star and philanthropist Jet Li and Walmart Chairman, Rob Walton. Paul continues to push the boundaries. He recently featured in Forbes Magazine alongside Sir Richard Branson in a global piece on ‘disrupters’ in business.
His book, The Firm of the Future, is widely regarded as a breakthrough book for professional firms. Paul now serves as Chairman of the revolutionary B1G1: Business for Good, a company that’s already enabled businesses to create almost 74 Million giving impacts around the world.
- Mid-level User Interface Designer and User Experience Designer with 360UniView, a solutions provider for academic institutions focused on social media. The startup is looking to fill 2 roles to provide hands-on expertise and leadership in the development of the user experience for the company's various projects, which may include content and product development planning, product strategising and project management. If interested, please contact [email protected]
- Senior Lead Mobile App Developer for Halza, a Healthcare startup - The developer will lead the entire app lifecycle right from concept stage until delivery and further into post launch support. Apps will include a communications platform that incorporates content integration and management. In addition to delivering the product, the successful candidate will be heavily involved in driving the mobile strategy globally. If interested, please contact [email protected]
- Research Analyst Intern for LYNK PRO LYNK (http://lynk.global/) - LYNK’s Research Analyst Internship is a 3-6 month internship program, where you will learn about our business and our clients, and also develop the communication, relationship building and project management skills necessary to excel in any career path. The learning curve is steep and you will be give meaningful job responsibilities and receive intensive on-the-job training. If interested, please contact [email protected]
- Big Data Statistical Analyst, Standard Chartered Bank. Please contact Mark Julien (WG10) ([email protected]) directly for more information: The new global CEO for Standard Chartered Bank, Bill Winters, is a Wharton MBA Grad (WG89). One area where the Bank is now looking to make significant progress in is the application of sophisticated statistical data analysis to uncover business opportunities by mining both external data and data that the Bank already has from its existing businesses. As one of the largest trade banks in the world, Standard Chartered has a wealth of data to analyse. Mark is looking for a strong statistician / data analyst in Singapore to help develop this exciting new area for the Bank. The main requirement is statistical data analysis experience (academic is fine). Any experience of Finance / Corporate Banking would be a bonus.
- Google openings Please see below job postings from WG'07 James T C Tan - feel free to email him at [email protected] for more information: